20 November 2012

So today was kind of action packed. Before having dinner at this restaurant, I fell into a 3ft deep gutter. Utter shock and horrible bruises. I won't go into the details but it was quite traumatic to say the least. It definitely could have been worse though.

I love Japanese food. I'm familiar with a lot of ingredients and dishes, and I'd say I have pretty 'Japanese' taste. One thing I've never heard of though, until I saw it on どっちの料理ショー, was monjayaki. It's probably the weirdest Japanese dish I've heard of. Luckily, I watched several youtube videos about this dish before finally trying it, because I would not have known how to cook it, or if this was how it was supposed to look.

So this it. It's still being cooked. It's like okonomiyaki is a sense that you can make it yourself on a hot plate and you can choose what to put in it (we chose squid). Hmmm... it doesn't seem as structurally sound as okonomiyaki though.

And here is it complete! It kind looks like lava. The molten quality is what made me want to try this thing. You eat it right off the hot plate because it's too globby of a glob to bother putting on a plate.
And you eat it with this little guy! How cute. Hmm so what's my final verdict? While I'm glad I got the chance to try this weirdo thing out, the taste was meh. It was yummy, but not good enough for me to go for again. It took us a while to find a place that served monjayaki, so I think I was way too excited when we finally got to eat it. I was imagining okonomiyaki flavoured mochi, I guess? This was fishy and chewy.
We also ordered a hiroshima okonomiyaki, another dish I've always wanted to try. It was pretty good, cause how can something that's filled with yakisoba not be good? Maybe I was expecting a lot out of this too, cause for me it just seemed like yakisoba with a few extra bits. I guess I have to go to Hiroshima?

1 comment:

  1. monjayaki frustrates me. i want to eat my food but i'm limited by the small spatula(?) :(

    ReplyDelete